For over 70 years, Richmond Christian School has been preparing students for every aspect of life. RCS offers a college preparatory education in a spiritual atmosphere and is in North Chesterfield County, just south of Richmond, on 33 acres of land, including a cafeteria, gym, playground, athletic fields, library, chapel, and classrooms. In addition to its academic offerings, RCS offers athletics, fine arts, leadership, and community service opportunities.
Key dates in our history:
- 1950 - A dedicated group of committed parents, led by Mrs. Gladys Billings, accepted a great challenge and vision to organize the Richmond Christian School Association. They hoped to establish a school "to instruct our children spiritually so that they become fitted for a fruitful relationship with God and academically equipped to meet the problems of a complex world."
- 1951 - The first class opened in space at Immanuel Baptist Church with Miss.Ethel Prescott as first-grade teacher and principal and 22 students. Parent committees funded, furnished, and operated the school. The following year, the school rented space in buildings on Idlewood Avenue. With the additional space, we could add more grade levels and teachers. However, by 1956 more extensive facilities were needed.
- 1957 - Because there wasn't another suitable location, we moved to the 704 Westover Road location, near Byrd Park. The owner offered lenient terms and financing help. With loans and much prayer, the school opened its first permanent home. The school grew to offer eight grades. However, by 1967, it was evident that we needed more space.
- 1968 - Moved ten southwest to a 26-acre site on Newbys Bridge Road in Chesterfield and was purchased through a bond program and much sacrificial giving. We built a larger facility to house our growing school, and the school opened with 12 teachers, offering nine grades of instruction.
- 1976 - The school became a ministry of Clover Hill Baptist Church and began a period of steady and substantial growth with the support of church families. In June 1979, the first graduating class received diplomas. Over time additional buildings were added but soon outgrew this campus as well.
- 1983 - The Lord opened the door for Clover Hill Baptist Church to purchase a 36-acre campus, which formerly housed The Gile School, to our current location on Belmont Road. The entire facility was in disrepair but offered huge expansion space with a huge gym, modern library, labs, chapel, cafeteria, and ample classroom space. Church, school families, and friends joined to finance and restore the campus.
- 1987 - Fire destroyed the high school. However, that didn't slow us down, and we quickly rebuilt the high school.
- 2005 - Became independent from Swift Creek Baptist Church.
- 2015 to Present - Major update and renovation process begins, to include:
- Computer Network Improvements - Running new Ethernet and Fiber Optic cable in all buildings; Installing new network switches and routers; Upgrading internet speed from ISP.
- Library upgrade and renovation included upgrading to a digital book cataloging system; and installing a Media Center.
- Chromebook Acquisition - Acquired multiple computer carts so every school division could access Chromebooks.
- New Gym Roof - our gym is now the "Red Roof Gym."